Friday 15 May 2009

Why are reborns so expensive?

Ever wondered why reborn babies are so expensive.

A list below will give an insight into why:-

  • Reborn doll kits range from £50-£100+
  • Mohair 1/4 oz range from £10 - £30+
  • Body ranging between £7 - £14
  • Eyes (glass) typically £17
  • Weighting/Filling approx £7
  • Dummy/magnets approx £3
  • Hair accessory £2+
  • Clothes ranging from a minumum of £25+
  • Box £5
  • Ebay fees £20+

An average baby selling for £200 would cost an average of £183 (based on the above prices) to the artist.

Some prices can vary greatly like the clothes for instance, and of course some babies are sleeping and don't have eyes.
Most artists take about a week to paint and root the hair of a baby, so many hours of work have gone into these little works of art.
Notice I have put down the box,as I do not charge the customer that in the postage...in fact I usually lose on the postage. So you can see from this if the baby sells for £200 the artist doesn't really make any profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Derby, Derbyshire, United Kingdom
After many successful years of painting as a wildlife artist I came across the art or reborning and I knew that I just had to do this! I cannot think of anything better than combining my natural love of babies with the passion I have for art. As an artist I always strive for total perfection and hopefully this shows through in the effort and love I put in to each and every baby that I create. I am a mother of two grown up children (my daughter is a qualified Dentist and my son is at University studying Computer Science). I have been mad keen on arts and crafts ever since I could hold a crayon! I came across reborning when my sister brought her first baby and I knew straight away that this was something for me!